Employment Resources

CareerSource Brevard provides career guidance, online job search capabilities, resume and letter-writing assistance, training and education program information, detailed information on specific employers and industries and access to state & national job postings. This site encompasses all areas of job seeking, labor market, benefits and social services. Additionally, it serves as a link to the statewide www.employflorida.com employment information system.  EFM allows users to search for employment and create a basic resume. EFM also allows users to assess their job skills & investigate other career fields.

CareerSource Brevard Centers offer resources which are free of charge and include books and videos on many employment topics, computers with resume creation software, document scanners, fax machines, laser printers, and a dedicated staff happy to assist you in using these resources. We also offer weekly job skills workshops designed to help you obtain employment. In addition, there are regularly held on site job recruitment fairs. Please ask a veteran’s representative for a list of workshops or employment recruiting events.

To learn about Federal Job openings, the U.S. Government’s official site for jobs and employment information is USA Jobs. You can access this site through the Employ Florida Market Place or on the web at http://www.usajobs.gov. Contact your local  Career Center for federal hiring workshop dates.

Naval Air Systems Command Careers
BUILD A FUTURE PROTECTING THE NATION. Join our leading-edge teams at the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) in areas such as defense systems, engineering, computer science, electronics, finance, logistics, and contracts management.

Work alongside active military personnel, veterans and the brightest civilian minds across the country. At NAVAIR, we are proud to serve by keeping our Sailors and Marines mission-focused and safe.

Postal Service:
Employment information is available at www.usps.gov,  click on the careers link at the bottom of the page.

Kennedy Space Center Contractors:
Kennedy Space Center has a substantial number of contractor employers. Each of these companies handles their own application and hiring. If you are interested in contractor employment at the Space Center, please access the NASA Contractors web page at http://www.nasajobs.nasa.gov/jobs/contractors.htm for a contractor list.

If you are seeking employment with the State of Florida, please visit the following website: https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/.  Nearly all the applications can be created, completed, and stored online. Other positions may require an application be submitted by mail. All veteran’s claiming veterans preference must mail or fax the requested supporting documents to the contact person listed. Application assistance is always available at CareerSource Brevard

Brevard County: To search for Brevard County employment, access the web site at http://www.brevardcounty.us/  or http://ww3.brevardcounty.us/bcc/jobops.cfm/

Brevard County Schools: The Brevard County School Board has a separate personnel office. Veterans applying for a position with the school board are required to pay for fingerprints and a background investigation as part of the application. The School Board Website is http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/.


Cocoa: To search for City of Cocoa employment, visit http://www.cocoafl.org.

Cocoa Beach: To search for City of Cocoa Beach city employment visit http://www.cityofcocoabeach.com  select Government then select Employment for a list of openings.

Titusville: To search for City of Titusville employment visit http://www.titusville.com, select Employment.  24 hour-a-day job line (321) 383-4395.

Melbourne: To search for City of Melbourne employment visit http://www.melbourneflorida.organd select the Job/Street Events link or call their 24-hour job-line at (321) 674-5825.

Palm Bay: To search for City of Palm Bay employment visit http://www.palmbayflorida.org and select Job Opportunities or call their 24-hour job line at (321) 952-3422.

West Melbourne: To search for City of West Melbourne employment visit www.westmelbourne.org and select “How do I apply for a Job” link.

Rockledge: To search for City of Rockledge employment visit www.cityofrockledge.org and select the Employment link.

Indian Harbor Beach: To search City of Indian Harbor Beach employment visit http://www.indianharbourbeach.org and select the City Employment link.

Satellite Beach: To search City of Satellite Beach city employment visit http://www.satellitebeach.org.

Merritt Island: Visit http://www.brevardcounty.us/HumanResources/EmploymentInfo/ for employment opportunities in Merritt Island.

Veterans who are interested in employment at Patrick AFB or Cape Canaveral must go to the Air Force Personnel Center website and follow the link to civilian employment. All applications are submitted via the website and must follow the exact requirements specified in the Air Force Job Kit.

Under the Veteran RE-EMPLOYMENT Rights (VRR) law, a person who left a civilian job to enter active duty in the Armed Forces, either voluntarily or involuntarily, may be entitled to return to the job after discharge or release from active duty.

Four basic eligibility criteria must be met:

The person must have been employed in an “other than temporary” civilian job.

The person must have left the civilian job for the purpose of entering military service.

The person must not remain on active duty longer than four years, unless the period beyond four years is at the request and for the convenience of the federal government and the military discharge carries this statement.

The person must be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions.

If you have questions or need assistance, contact the U.S. Department of Labor’s director for Veterans Employment and Training (DVET) http://www.dol.gov/vets/aboutvets/contacts/ for Florida. Your CareerSource veteran representative can provide contact assistance.

(All veterans are advised to visit/call their CareerSource Brevard veterans representative regarding preference.)


A.   5 Point Preference: Given to honorably discharged veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States:

1)    During World War II (Dec 7, 1941 – Apr 28, 1952)
2)    During the Korean Conflict (April 28, 1952-July 1, 1955)
3)    In a campaign or expedition for which a (campaign) badge has been authorized, and, if the person enlisted after Sep 8, 1980, served continuously for 24 months.  (Individuals who have incurred a disability in the line of duty which the Department of Veterans Affairs determines is compensable are excluded from this 24 month service requirement).
4)    For more than 180 consecutive days, any part of which occurred after Jan 31, 1955 and before October 15, 1976. (An initial period of active duty for training under the “six month” Reserve or National Guard programs does not count.)

Note: Under PL 95-454, Oct 13, 1978 (Civil Service Reform Act), retired members of the Armed Forces are no longer considered preference eligible as of Oct 1, 1980, unless they are disabled veterans or retired below the rank of Major or the equivalent.

B.   Ten Point Preference: Given to:

1)    Disabled Veterans – an honorably separated veteran who served on active duty in the Armed Forces at any time, and who:
a)    Has a service-connected disability, or
b)    Is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension under laws administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard or Marine Corps.  A veteran who has been awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received in action is considered to have a service-connected disability.
c)    Wives or Husbands, Widows or Widower and Mothers of Veterans – You may be eligible for a 10 point veteran preference. Please see a veteran’s representative for further guidance.

The VRA is a special authority by which agencies can, if they wish, appoint an eligible veteran without competition. The candidate does not have to be on a list of eligibles, but must meet the basic qualification requirements for the position. The VRA is a convenient method of appointment for both the agency and the veteran. However, use of the authority is entirely discretionary and no one is entitled to a VRA appointment. VRA appointees initially are hired for a 2-year period. Successful completion of the 2-year VRA appointment leads to a permanent civil service appointment.

A. Service Requirements:
You must have served on active duty for a period of more than 180 days which occurred after August 4, 1964, and received other than a dishonorable discharge. Active duty is full-time duty in the Armed Forces, other than active duty for training. You do not need to serve more than 180 days of active duty, if you were discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.

B. Time Limit:
Eligible post-Vietnam era veterans qualify for 10 years after the date of your last discharge or release from active duty or until December 31, 1999, whichever is later. Eligible Vietnam era veterans (those who served on active duty between August 5, 1964, and May 7, 1975) qualify until 10 years after your last discharge or separation from active duty or until December 31, 1995, whichever is later. Eligible veterans with a service-connected disability of 30% or more have no time limit. If you are selected for a VRA and have less than 15 years of education, you must agree to participate in a training or educational program.

C. Grade Levels of Jobs That Can Be Filled:
Agencies can use the VRA authority to fill white-collar positions up through GS-11 and equivalent jobs under other pay systems. Veteran’s Readjustment Appointments are in the excepted service. After two years of substantially continuous service under a Veterans Readjustment Appointment, providing your performance has been satisfactory, your appointment shall be converted to the competitive service.

D. How to Apply:
You should contact the Federal agency personnel office where you are interested in working to find out about VRA opportunities. Agencies recruit candidates and make VRA appointments directly.

Veterans who have a service-connected disability of 30% or more may apply directly to Federal agencies for consideration for noncompetitive temporary appointments.  30% disabled veterans on a temporary appointment may be converted non-competitively to a career or career-conditional appointment.

Under certain conditions, veterans can file an application for Federal positions, which are not on the Federal Job Opportunity List and are not open to the acceptance of applications from the public. To be eligible, you must meet one of the following five conditions:

  1. Have been awarded the Purple Heart
  2. Have a service-connected disability
  3. Be receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension because of a public statute administered by the Veterans Administration or a military department.
  4. Be entitled to ten point veterans’ preference as a widow, widower, spouse or mother of a veteran 100% disabled or rated as unemployable.
  5. Will be discharged from active duty in the armed forces within 120 days or if you have been discharged from active duty in the armed forces, apply within 120 days of discharge.

 If you meet one of these conditions and wish to apply for a position, please see your Brevard Workforce veteran representative.

The Department of Veterans Affairs will issue civil service preference certificates to eligible veterans seeking Government employment.  You must have received an honorable discharge or have incurred a service-connected disability during any period of service.  Contact your veteran representative for further assistance.