Veteran Resources

Welcome Veterans

The CareerSource Brevard Veteran’s Staff offers a variety of professional services. We provide veterans the tools necessary to jumpstart your career by assisting you with your job search, workforce information, and training. A veteran representative will be assigned to you and is available to answer any questions or provide assistance with your job search process. The information provided herein is an overview of veteran services available. For more information, we encourage you to meet with a Brevard Workforce veteran representative and discuss the full range of services that are available. Assistance or additional information is available at any of our career centers or by contacting a veterans representative at CareerSource Brevard.

Proof of Veteran Status
CareerSource Brevard and many other agencies providing services require proof of veteran status. If you are claiming veteran preference for Federal, State, County or Municipal positions, the only documentation acceptable for this is the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.  You may request a copy from the National Archives.

When you arrive at a Career Center, one of our staffing specialists will guide you through the registration process. You will be asked to enter your employment history, job skills, salary and personal career requirements into the statewide Employ Florida Marketplace (EFM) employment information system. As local employers list jobs, veteran applicant files are searched to find qualified veterans for those jobs. If a veteran matches the employer’s desired skills, a veteran representative will contact the veteran. Veteran staff is available for assistance, registration, counseling, and other veteran related questions you may have.

CareerSource Brevard provides career guidance, online job search capabilities, resume and letter-writing assistance, training and education program information, detailed information on specific employers and industries and access to state & national job postings. This site encompasses all areas of job seeking, labor market, benefits and social services. Additionally, it serves as a link to the statewide employment information system.  EFM allows users to search for employment and create a basic resume. EFM also allows users to assess their job skills & investigate other career fields.

CareerSource Brevard Centers offer resources which are free of charge and include books and videos on many employment topics, computers with resume creation software, document scanners, fax machines, laser printers, and a dedicated staff happy to assist you in using these resources. We also offer weekly job skills workshops designed to help you obtain employment. In addition, there are regularly held on site job recruitment fairs. Please ask a veteran’s representative for a list of workshops or employment recruiting events.

To learn about Federal Job openings, the U.S. Government’s official site for jobs and employment information is USA Jobs. You can access this site through the Employ Florida Market Place or on the web at Contact your local  Career Center for federal hiring workshop dates.

Postal Service:
Employment information is available at,  click on the careers link at the bottom of the page.

Kennedy Space Center Contractors:
Kennedy Space Center has a substantial number of contractor employers. Each of these companies handles their own application and hiring. If you are interested in contractor employment at the Space Center, please access the NASA Contractors web page at for a contractor list.

If you are seeking employment with the State of Florida, please visit the following website:  Nearly all the applications can be created, completed, and stored online. Other positions may require an application be submitted by mail. All veteran’s claiming veterans preference must mail or fax the requested supporting documents to the contact person listed. Application assistance is always available at CareerSource Brevard

Brevard County: To search for Brevard County employment, access the web site at  or

Brevard County Schools: The Brevard County School Board has a separate personnel office. Veterans applying for a position with the school board are required to pay for fingerprints and a background investigation as part of the application. The School Board Website is


Cocoa: To search for City of Cocoa employment, visit

Cocoa Beach: To search for City of Cocoa Beach city employment visit  select Government then select Employment for a list of openings.

Titusville: To search for City of Titusville employment visit, select Employment.  24 hour-a-day job line (321) 383-4395.

Melbourne: To search for City of Melbourne employment visit http://www.melbourneflorida.organd select the Job/Street Events link or call their 24-hour job-line at (321) 674-5825.

Palm Bay: To search for City of Palm Bay employment visit and select Job Opportunities or call their 24-hour job line at (321) 952-3422.

West Melbourne: To search for City of West Melbourne employment visit and select “How do I apply for a Job” link.

Rockledge: To search for City of Rockledge employment visit and select the Employment link.

Indian Harbor Beach: To search City of Indian Harbor Beach employment visit and select the City Employment link.

Satellite Beach: To search City of Satellite Beach city employment visit

Merritt Island: Visit for employment opportunities in Merritt Island.

Veterans who are interested in employment at Patrick AFB or Cape Canaveral must go to the Air Force Personnel Center website and follow the link to civilian employment. All applications are submitted via the website and must follow the exact requirements specified in the Air Force Job Kit.

Under the Veteran RE-EMPLOYMENT Rights (VRR) law, a person who left a civilian job to enter active duty in the Armed Forces, either voluntarily or involuntarily, may be entitled to return to the job after discharge or release from active duty.

Four basic eligibility criteria must be met:

The person must have been employed in an “other than temporary” civilian job.

The person must have left the civilian job for the purpose of entering military service.

The person must not remain on active duty longer than four years, unless the period beyond four years is at the request and for the convenience of the federal government and the military discharge carries this statement.

The person must be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions.

If you have questions or need assistance, contact the U.S. Department of Labor’s director for Veterans Employment and Training (DVET) for Florida. Your CareerSource veteran representative can provide contact assistance.


WIA is a program administered by CareerSource Brevard and provides training opportunities to economically disadvantaged individuals, those with serious employment barriers or handicaps, and those who qualify under the Economically Disadvantaged Workers Assistance Act (EDWAA). This training can be provided in the classroom or through on-the-job training and is designed to lead to permanent employment. Please see a veteran’s representative to learn more.

Applications for entry into the electrician’s apprenticeship program are accepted as when apprenticeship positions become available. This program is funded by the electrical industry.  You may apply for both the union or non-union program by contacting the following Apprenticeship and Training Committees:

International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union No. 606
820 Virginia Drive
Orlando, Florida 32803
(407) 896-7271

If you have a Bachelors or Associates Degree and were released from active duty on or after Oct 1, 1990, or you were a civilian employee of DOD and terminated by the defense draw down or base closure, you have an opportunity to begin a new career in public education. To learn more, call the Program Manager for Troops to Teachers in Florida (850) 245-5023 or via email at  You may also call Toll free (888) 358-7667, the nationwide number (800) 231-6242 or visit the website.
Florida Website:
National Website:


211 Brevard is available through the CareerSource Brevard website. 211 Brevard responds to people in crisis and/or needing information about community resources. To access 211 Brevard, please visit the CareerSource Brevard website and select the Resources tab. To call 211 Brevard, DIAL 211 or 321-632-6688. 211 Brevard lists substance abuse counseling centers, food/pantry locations, victim rights information, and other social/community assistance groups and agencies.

The VA provides treatment for PTSD. Characteristic symptoms involve re-experiencing the traumatic event, a numb response to the external world, reduced involvement with society and a variety of depressive symptoms.  If you feel you have experienced any of these symptoms, please contact the VA Mental Health Clinic at (321) 637-3625 or visit the VA website:

Voc Rehab seeks to determine whether a veteran’s disability causes a serious employment handicap and whether a career goal is feasible for the veteran. To be eligible for Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Vocational Rehab (Chapter 31), the veteran must have a service-connected disability which contributes to an employment handicap.

To be eligible for State of Florida Vocational Rehab, a veteran must have a disability that is limits employment. If you feel you have a disability, which is a barrier to employment, please see a CareerSourcee veteran representative or visit: for more information.


Partial wage replacement is provided by law through the Reemployment Assistance program to eligible workers who lose their job through no fault of their own.  You may obtain information for Unemployment by phone at 1-800-204-2418 or at

This federally administered program is designed to help eligible participants with retirement insurance, survivor’s insurance, disability insurance, supplemental security insurance, or hospitalization and medical care insurance.

Social Security Administration
1715 W. Nasa Blvd., Melbourne, Florida (866) 716-7667

This state administered program provides eligible persons with public assistance payments.

Florida Department of Children and Families
Brevard County Access Application Center – Central Brevard
801 Dixon Blvd, Suite 1103
Cocoa, Florida 32922
(866) 762-2237

This Senior Aide Program has income requirements and provides eligible participants with employment and training opportunities. Please visit one of the career centers below for more information:

Payments made to covered workers, through the Workers’ Compensation program.  Medical expenses incurred in relation to an injury sustained on the job and as compensation during a period of unemployment resulting from the injury are covered.

Florida State Division of Workers’ Compensation
District Office: Orlando, FL
1(800) 342-1741


Services are usually provided to persons who qualify for public assistance and eligible low income persons (over 65, blind, disabled, members of families with dependent children)

Brevard County Health Dept. Appointment Center:
(321) 637-7300
8:00am to 5:00pm

County Clinic Locations and Maps

211 Brevard
Provides information regarding medical assistance.
Website: Follow the 211 database link on the home page.

The clinic provides priority medical care to veterans with service connected disabilities. Medical service is available to veterans with non-service connected disabilities who meet income guidelines on a space available basis.  Please contact the clinic to determine your eligibility.

VA Outpatient Clinic – State of Florida
2900 Veterans’ Way, Suite A700
Viera, Florida 32940
(321) 637-3788

Mesothelioma Center
189 S. Orange Ave., Suite 1620
Orlando, FL 32801
(800) 615-2270
Countless veterans are currently suffering from life-threatening illnesses that are a result of exposure to asbestos, a material that was commonly used in hundreds of military applications because of its resistance to fire. The Mesothelioma Center provides a complete list of occupations, ships, and shipyards that could have put our Veterans at risk for developing asbestos-related diseases.


Brevard County Legal Aid Inc.
People who are cannot afford legal counsel and meet income eligibility guidelines can receive civil legal assistance.

Brevard County Legal Aid Inc.
1038 Harvin Way, Suite 100
Rockledge, Florida 32955
(321) 631-2500

Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida-Veterans Advocacy
This free service provides legal advice, counseling, referral, education, and representation to low-income Veterans.

Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida
(407) 322-6279 or (888) 379-4729×2441


A program for eligible low-income families and individuals to assist with purchase of food items from grocery stores. For information and to apply::

Economic Self Sufficiency

Food Stamp Office
DCF (Central):
801 Dixon Boulevard
Cocoa, Florida 32922
(321) 690-3710 Service Center

supply of basic food items will be provided during periods of emergency by the following agencies.  Some agencies will require proof you have registered for food stamps to be eligible to receive this assistance.

C.I.T.A., Inc. Rescue Mission
2330 Johnny Ellison Drive
Melbourne, Florida 32901
(321) 723-7938

Central Brevard Sharing Center
113 Aurora Street
Cocoa, Florida 32923
(321) 631-0306

Community Services Council
1900 S. Harbor City Blvd., Ste 101
Melbourne, Florida 32901
(321) 984-0749

Daily Bread
815 East Fee Ave.
Melbourne, Florida 32901
(321) 723-9026

North Brevard Charities
4475 S. Hopkins Ave.
Titusville, Florida 32780
(321) 269-6555

Stop-Gap of North Brevard
725 S. Deleon Ave.
Titusville, Florida 32780
(321) 383-5633

Project Response, Inc.
745 S. Apollo Blvd.
Melbourne, Florida 32901
(321) 724-1177

Second Harvest Food Bank
6928 Vickie Circle
Melbourne, Florida 32904
(321) 733-1600

South Brevard Sharing Center
17 E Hibiscus Blvd.
Melbourne, Florida 32901
(321) 727-8581

South Brevard Sharing Center
2881 NE Palm Bay Rd.
Palm Bay, Florida 32905
(321) 676-2965

Agencies that provide temporary short term housing during periods of emergency:

C.I.T.A. Inc
2330 Johnny Ellison Dr.
Melbourne, FL 32901
(321) 723-7938

Central Brevard Sharing
113 Aurora Rd.
Cocoa, FL 32923
(321) 631-0306

C.I.T.A. Mission Men’s Shelter
2300 S. Harbor City Blvd.
Melbourne, FL  32901
(321) 725-5160

Sue M. Pridmore Center for Women & Children
1086 S. Hickory St.
Melbourne, FL  32901
(321) 724-0494 ext. 28

Salvation Army, Brevard Area
919 Peachtree St.
Cocoa, FL 32922
(321) 632-6060

Command Central Brevard Office:
PO. Box 1540
Cocoa, FL 32922
(321) 631-2764

Domestic Violence Shelter North Brevard Office:
1218 W. Main St.
Titusville, FL 32782
(321) 269-3110

South Brevard Office:
1080 S. Hickory St.
Melbourne, FL 32901
(321) 724-0494

Vietnam Veterans of Brevard
700 Fee Ave.
Melbourne, FL 32935
(321) 409-8167

A supply of basic clothing items are provided based on need. If you are in need of clothing for a job interview or a job, please see a CareerSource veteran’s representative for information.

C.I.T.A Inc. Rescue Mission
2330 Johnny Ellison Dr.
Melbourne, FL 32901
(321) 723-7938

Central Brevard Sharing Center, Inc.
113 Aurora Rd.
Cocoa, FL 32923
(321) 631-0306

N. Brev. Charities Sharing Ctr
4475 S. Hopkins Ave.
Titusville, FL 32780
(321) 269-6555

Joshua’s Closet
5275 Babcock St, NE Suite 8B
Palm Bay, FL 32905
(321) 394-0701

South Brevard Sharing Center
1617 S. Oak St.
Melbourne, FL 32901
(321) 727-8581

South Brevard Sharing Center Palm Bay Office:
2881 Palm Bay Rd. NE
Palm Bay, FL 32905
(321) 676-2965

Limited financial assistance, bus tokens or gas vouchers may be available from these organizations depending on the situation, the needs of the applicant and available agency resources.

American Red Cross
1700 Cedar St.
Rockledge, FL 32955
(321) 723-2505

Catholic Charities, Inc.
817 Dixon Blvd, Suite 16
Cocoa, FL 32922
(321) 636-6144

Central Brevard Sharing Center, Inc.
705 Blake Ave, Bldg. C
Cocoa, Fl 32922
(321) 633-1951

Brevard County Family & Children Services
113 Aurora Rd.
Cocoa, FL 32923
(321) 631-0306

Administration of Social and Manpower Programs
4475 S. Hopkins Ave.
Titusville, FL 32780
(321) 269-6555

North Brevard Sharing Center, Inc
4640 Lipscomb St.
Palm Bay, FL 32905
(321) 952-6339

South Brevard  Sharing Center
1617 S. Oak St
Melbourne, FL 32901
(321) 727-8581

South Brevard Sharing Center
2881 Palm Bay Rd NE
Palm Bay, FL 32905
(321) 676-2965                          

Jewish Federation of Brevard 
108-A Barton Ave.
Rockledge, FL 32955
(321) 636-1824

Salvation Army, Brevard Area Command
919 Peachtree St.
Cocoa, FL 32922
(321) 632-6060                       

Salvation Army, Brevard Area Command
1218 W. Main St.
Titusville, FL 32782
(321) 269-3110                 

Salvation Army, Brevard Area Command
1080 S. Hickory St.

     Entrepreneurial Support

FSBDC and ESFC assist entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs through business counseling, seminars and workshops; promotes economic development by responding to the needs of small businesses in Brevard County; and provides business professionals an opportunity to contribute to the community through volunteering as a consultant to other business owners.

Brevard County aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners can find assistance in programs such as: How to Start a Business, Management, Financing, Bookkeeping, Personnel, Business Tax, Business Plan Review, Marketing/Sales, Government Contracting, International Trade, Product Innovation, and Energy Conservation.

For more information contact:
Rod Pickett at (321) 433-5573
3865 N. Wickham Road Bldg 10,
Room CM – 122, Melbourne, FL

Veterans Business Network of Central Florida (VET-NET) MeetingsMeetings are held bi-monthly at the FSBDC (BCC Melbourne Campus) with a variety of  business topics presented. Program is free – reservations are required.
For more information contact: Sandy Pfrimmer at (321) 433-5570)

Brevard Small Business Assistance Council
The Brevard Small Business Assistance Council’s website provides various assistance to veterans (and non-veterans) thinking about opening a business.  The Brevard Small Business Assistance Council (BSBAC) is a not-for-profit organization devoted to promoting the continued growth of small businesses in Brevard County.  Its members include local and federal government, Chambers of Commerce, banks, legal offices, and prime contractors for the Air Force and NASA.

Below are some of the links to websites listed on BSBAC’s webpage:
Veteran Owned Business Project –

(All veterans are advised to visit/call their CareerSource Brevard veterans representative regarding preference.)


A.   5 Point Preference: Given to honorably discharged veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States:

1)    During World War II (Dec 7, 1941 – Apr 28, 1952)
2)    During the Korean Conflict (April 28, 1952-July 1, 1955)
3)    In a campaign or expedition for which a (campaign) badge has been authorized, and, if the person enlisted after Sep 8, 1980, served continuously for 24 months.  (Individuals who have incurred a disability in the line of duty which the Department of Veterans Affairs determines is compensable are excluded from this 24 month service requirement).
4)    For more than 180 consecutive days, any part of which occurred after Jan 31, 1955 and before October 15, 1976. (An initial period of active duty for training under the “six month” Reserve or National Guard programs does not count.)

Note: Under PL 95-454, Oct 13, 1978 (Civil Service Reform Act), retired members of the Armed Forces are no longer considered preference eligible as of Oct 1, 1980, unless they are disabled veterans or retired below the rank of Major or the equivalent.

B.   Ten Point Preference: Given to:

1)    Disabled Veterans – an honorably separated veteran who served on active duty in the Armed Forces at any time, and who:
a)    Has a service-connected disability, or
b)    Is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension under laws administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard or Marine Corps.  A veteran who has been awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received in action is considered to have a service-connected disability.
c)    Wives or Husbands, Widows or Widower and Mothers of Veterans – You may be eligible for a 10 point veteran preference. Please see a veteran’s representative for further guidance.

The VRA is a special authority by which agencies can, if they wish, appoint an eligible veteran without competition. The candidate does not have to be on a list of eligibles, but must meet the basic qualification requirements for the position. The VRA is a convenient method of appointment for both the agency and the veteran. However, use of the authority is entirely discretionary and no one is entitled to a VRA appointment. VRA appointees initially are hired for a 2-year period. Successful completion of the 2-year VRA appointment leads to a permanent civil service appointment.

A. Service Requirements:
You must have served on active duty for a period of more than 180 days which occurred after August 4, 1964, and received other than a dishonorable discharge. Active duty is full-time duty in the Armed Forces, other than active duty for training. You do not need to serve more than 180 days of active duty, if you were discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.

B. Time Limit:
Eligible post-Vietnam era veterans qualify for 10 years after the date of your last discharge or release from active duty or until December 31, 1999, whichever is later. Eligible Vietnam era veterans (those who served on active duty between August 5, 1964, and May 7, 1975) qualify until 10 years after your last discharge or separation from active duty or until December 31, 1995, whichever is later. Eligible veterans with a service-connected disability of 30% or more have no time limit. If you are selected for a VRA and have less than 15 years of education, you must agree to participate in a training or educational program.

C. Grade Levels of Jobs That Can Be Filled:
Agencies can use the VRA authority to fill white-collar positions up through GS-11 and equivalent jobs under other pay systems. Veteran’s Readjustment Appointments are in the excepted service. After two years of substantially continuous service under a Veterans Readjustment Appointment, providing your performance has been satisfactory, your appointment shall be converted to the competitive service.

D. How to Apply:
You should contact the Federal agency personnel office where you are interested in working to find out about VRA opportunities. Agencies recruit candidates and make VRA appointments directly.

Veterans who have a service-connected disability of 30% or more may apply directly to Federal agencies for consideration for noncompetitive temporary appointments.  30% disabled veterans on a temporary appointment may be converted non-competitively to a career or career-conditional appointment.

Under certain conditions, veterans can file an application for Federal positions, which are not on the Federal Job Opportunity List and are not open to the acceptance of applications from the public. To be eligible, you must meet one of the following five conditions:

  1. Have been awarded the Purple Heart
  2. Have a service-connected disability
  3. Be receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension because of a public statute administered by the Veterans Administration or a military department.
  4. Be entitled to ten point veterans’ preference as a widow, widower, spouse or mother of a veteran 100% disabled or rated as unemployable.
  5. Will be discharged from active duty in the armed forces within 120 days or if you have been discharged from active duty in the armed forces, apply within 120 days of discharge.

 If you meet one of these conditions and wish to apply for a position, please see your Brevard Workforce veteran representative.

The Department of Veterans Affairs will issue civil service preference certificates to eligible veterans seeking Government employment.  You must have received an honorable discharge or have incurred a service-connected disability during any period of service.  Contact your veteran representative for further assistance.


Most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) and other military and medical records by visiting the following website:


  1. Air ForceAll current and former active duty, guard, and reserve Air Force members can order a transcript free of charge through the CCAF online system. Orders are processed over night and mailed out within two business days of the order. All orders placed through the CCAF system are mailed through the United States Postal Service. Please allow ample time for the transcript to be delivered.
  2. Joint Services Transcript (Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy: Active Duty, Reserve and Veterans)
  3. The Army, Marine Corps, and Navy are now using a Joint Services Transcript (JST). The Coast Guard is also in the process of switching to the JST.
  4. Coast Guard: Transcripts still under development. You may access the site but be aware that all of your data may not be up to date. Official transcripts cannot be sent to academic institutions as the Coast Guard application is still under construction.


The following benefits are but a few of those available to veterans discharged under “other than dishonorable” conditions.  The surest way to obtain current VA benefits information and apply for VA benefits and claims is to contact the nearest VA regional office or a state, county or veterans’ organization veteran’s affairs officer. Website:



Time Table



10 years for Chapter 30

15 for Post 911


You may be eligible for educational assistance while you pursue approved training if participated in either the Post-Vietnam  Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP -Chapter 32) or the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) while on active duty; or if you had entitlement under the Vietnam Era GI Bill  (Chapter 34) remaining on Dec 31, 1989, and were on active duty from Oct 19, 1984 through June 30, 1988, without a break; or were on active duty from Oct 19, 1984, through June 30, 1987 and subsequently entered into the Selected Reserve under a four year enlistment. Call V.A. at 1-800-827-1000 for all updated education information.

12 years

Vocational Rehabilitation

For disabled vets, VA will pay tuition and fees, and the cost of books, tools and other program expenses as well as provide a monthly living allowance. Upon completion of the program, VA will assist in finding employment.

No Time Limit

G.I. Loans

VA will guarantee your loan for the purchase of a home, farm, manufactured home, or condominium. The veteran can obtain a mortgage featuring no down payment, and disabled veterans can get a waiver of the VA Loan funding fee.

No Time Limit

Disability Compensation

VA pays compensation for disabilities incurred in or aggravated by military service.  Payments are made from date of separation if claim is filed within one year.

No Time Limit

Medical Care

VA provides a wide range of care benefits, including help for alcoholism and other drug dependency, to veterans with a service-connected disability & no time limit to non service-connected veterans who qualify. Readjustment counseling benefits is available at VA vet centers for veterans with readjustment problems.

90 Days

Dental Treatment

VA provides necessary dental care for veterans who were not provided dental examination and treatment within 90 days of discharge or separation from service.  The time limit does not apply to totally disabled veterans or those with dental disabilities resulting from combat wounds or service injuries.

120 Days


Servicemen’s Group Life Insurance may be converted to VGLI (Veterans s       Group Life Insurance), a 5 year nonrenewable term policy.  At the end of the five-year term, VGLI may be converted to an individual policy with any participating insurance company.


Pension, Specially Adapted Homes, Automobiles, Clothing Allowances, and Veterans Rated Unemployable, Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance, Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), Burial Benefits, Nursing Home Care, Domiciliary Care, Board of Veterans Appeals, Military Medals, and Review of Discharges. For more information regarding benefits that are not provided by the VA, contact a VA representative at 1-800-827-1000.

Veterans receiving VA educational benefits and enrolled at least 3/4 time in a college degree, vocational rehabilitation or professional program may “earn while they learn” under the VA work study program. Services performed under the VA Work-Study Program must be veteran related in nature.  See a CareerSource Brevard veteran representative for further information

This is a free lifetime entrance pass for persons who are blind or totally disabled. It is available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States, regardless of age, who have been determined to be blind or permanently disabled. You may obtain a Golden Access Passport at any entrance fee area by showing proof of medical determined disability and eligibility for receiving benefits under federal law.

The Golden Access Passport admits the pass holder and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle. Where entry is not by private vehicle, the passport admits the pass holder, spouse, children, and parents. The Golden Access Passport also provides a 50% discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as fees for camping, swimming, parking, boat launching, or cave tours. It does not cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.  To apply for your Golden Access Passport, take a copy of your VA disability letter to any National Park Service entrance fee area.

Get a State or County Veterans Service Officer (listed in 6, below) or a veteran’s service organization to help you fill out your claim.  The veterans’ service organizations “Service Officers” can be found by calling the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office where they often locate their operations offices or by calling the veterans group itself (see Veteran Service Organizations listing below).

Do not let anyone charge you for helping fill out your claim.  Legally, you cannot pay anyone to represent you in a VA claim matter until you have indicated to the VA regional office in writing that you disagree with its decision and have had your claim rejected by the Board of Veterans’ Appeals.

Ask for benefits as soon as possible – even if you do not have a formal claim form. A dated, handwritten note is enough to start your claim, and it will establish the earliest date for which the VA will pay benefits if your claim is later approved. The formal application form, VA Form 21-526, should be filed within one year of when the Department of Veterans Affairs sends it to you.

Good evidence is the key to winning a claim. Provide your advocate with all medical records, military records and statements from relatives or friends that support your claim.
Be consistent and clear in what you tell the VA about your medical condition. Inconsistencies in veterans’ statements can be used against you when the VA rater decides whether to approve a claim or not.

Remember that the VA’s examining doctors who evaluate your condition in connection with your claim are not paid to be on your side.  They are more like insurance company doctors; their job is to help the VA regional office decide whether you are entitled to benefits. Be honest, but think first about what you say to the VA doctor.
You can appeal the decision by officials in the regional office to the Board of Veterans Appeals:  they find your illness is not linked to your military service; if the illness is rated as less severe that you think is fair; and if you disagree with the date when the VA says it will begin disability payments. If you disagree with the VA’s decision, you should promptly file a notice of disagreement with the VA regional office.

Inform veterans and their dependents of benefits to which they are entitled and assist them in obtaining benefits by filing claims and supporting documents which will justify their claims.

Brevard County Veterans Service Team
2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
Viera, Florida 32940
(321) 633-2012

Brevard County Veterans Service Officer
2900 Veterans Way       .
Viera, Florida 32940
(321) 637-3693

The Vet Center program provides readjustment counseling for veterans who served during all military conflicts.

The goal of the program is to provide a broad range of counseling, outreach and referral services to veterans (and their families) who have served during combat eras in order to help them make a satisfying post-war readjustment to civilian life. Website:

2098 Sarno Road, Melbourne, Florida 32935
(321) 254-3410 or (800) 905-4675


American Legion Post 163
1795 N. Harbor City Blvd
Melbourne, Florida
(321) 259-7239

American Legion Post 200
105 Ocean Blvd.
Satellite Beach, Florida
(321) 773-5151

American Legion Post 189
807 Louisiana Ave.
Sebastian, Florida

American Legion Post 191
2422 S Harbor City Blvd.
Melbourne, Florida
(321) 768-2513

American Legion Post 117
189 Veterans Dr. SE
Palm Bay, Florida
(321) 729-8089

American Legion Post 177
502 S. Burnett Rd.
Cocoa, Florida
(321) 639-2182

American Legion  Post 348
105 Lincoln Ave.
Cape Canaveral, Florida
(321) 799-1060

American Legion Post 22
241 Peachtree St.
Cocoa, Florida
(321) 636-9720

Department of Veterans Affairs Telephone Numbers

Benefits & Assistance (800) 827-1000
VA Website:

GI Bill Assistance (800) 442-4551

Small Business Administration Office (202) 205-6773

U.S. Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs (202) 224-9126

House Committee on Veterans Affairs (202) 225-3527

Brevard County V.A. Clinic

Veterans Claim Examiner (VCE)
VCE Paul Hiott
2900 Veterans’ Way Suite A700
Viera, FL 32940
Phone: (321) 637-3693/3788
Toll Free: 1-877-878-8387 x3693

Health Care for Homeless Veterans VA-HCHV
The HCHV Outreach Worker is the gateway to homeless Veteran’s recovery. HCHV Outreach Workers are clinically trained mental health providers who interview Veterans to determine what assistance and interventions are most appropriate to meet the Veteran’s unique needs. Workers connect homeless Veterans with the VA eligibility office.
If the Veteran is eligible, the Outreach Worker facilitates referrals for physical and mental health evaluations and/or to programs are the most appropriate for the Veteran, such as:

  • In-patient hospitalization
  • Residential Rehabilitation and Treatment Program
  • Grant and Per Diem transitional housing
  • HUD-VASH permanent supportive housing
  • Compensated Work Therapy
  • Community resources

HCHV Outreach Workers also serve as case managers for homeless Veterans until they are engaged in another program or have housing. Non-eligible Veterans may be referred to resources for assistance with their military discharge status or to community agencies that can provide direct services to the Veteran.   Additional information may be obtained:

2900 Veterans’ Way
Viera, FL 32940
Phone: (321) 637-3788 X2639

Online Resources

 1.  e-VETS Resource Advisor
Thanks to a new Internet gateway developed by the U.S. Department of Labor, active duty military personnel, veterans, reservists, National Guard members and their families are now just one click away from hundreds of web sites containing information about programs and services available to them,

Known as the e-VETS Resource Advisor, users can choose from categories such as job search skills and tools, employment listings, career assessment tools, entrepreneurship, federal employment, education and training providers, Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits, State veterans benefits, military records, veterans service organizations, housing, and financial assistance. e-VETS allows users to customize their selections by selecting personal categories including whether they are a disabled or military conflict veteran, their branch of service, their sex and/or age, and if they have any barriers to employment.  This information allows e-VETS to produce a list of Web site links of specific interest to an individual user.



2.   e-Benefits
The e-Benefits Dashboard provides useful tools for updating personal information, monitoring claims, applying for benefits, compensation claims status and managing your health. You can apply for benefits, download your DD-214, and view your benefits status. You can create VA letters for a variety of purposes, including Civil Service Preference, Commissary, Service Verification, and Benefit Verification. Registration is required to access all features.
e-benefits Website:

Registration Link:

3.   My HealtheVet
My HealtheVet is the VA’s Personal Health Record. It was designed for Veterans, active duty Servicemembers, their dependents and caregivers. My HealtheVet helps you partner with your health care team. It provides you opportunities and tools to make informed decisions.



War Related Issues

Please visit for the following website for more information:

The VA provides treatment for PTSD.  Characteristic symptoms involve re-experiencing the traumatic event, a numb response to the external world, reduced involvement with society and a variety of depressive symptoms. If you feel you have experienced any of these symptoms, please contact your primary care provider at the VA or the VA Mental Health Hospital, Gainesville, FL. Website:

Agent Orange
Vietnam Veterans with questions or concerns about Agent Orange contact VA’s Gulf War/Agent Orange Helpline. The national toll-free telephone number is 1-800-749-8387. A great deal of information is also available on their website. Website:

Vietnam veterans (plus veterans who served in Korea in 1968 or 1969), and other veterans who may have been exposed to Agent Orange or other herbicides during the testing, transporting or spraying of herbicides for military purposes and who are concerned about possible long-term health effects of Agent Orange exposure should contact the nearest VA medical center and request an Agent Orange Registry health examination.

Vietnam veterans who need medical treatment for conditions that may be related to their exposure to Agent Orange or other herbicides used in Vietnam should contact the nearest VA medical center for eligibility information and possible medical treatment. Vietnam veterans with illnesses that they believe were incurred or aggravated by exposure to Agent Orange or other aspects of military service. The counselors have information about the wide range of benefit programs administered by VA.  The national toll-free number is 1-800-827-1000.  To apply for VA reimbursement of health care costs, call 1-800-733-8387.

Vietnam veterans who encounter difficulties at a VA medical center should contact the “patient advocate” at that facility for assistance in resolving the problem.  Ask the medical center telephone operator for the patient advocate or representative.

Vietnam veterans with children who have spinal bifida should contact the VA national toll-free hotline at 1-800-621-3141 or the nearest VA regional office by calling toll-free: 1-800-827-1000. Additional information on spinal bifida is available from the Spinal Bifida Association of America at 4590 Mac Arthur Blvd., Suite 250, Washington, DC 20007-4226.
E-mail address: Website:

After you apply, the VA should send you a form to fill out and return. Along with this form, it may be helpful to send VA copies of the veteran’s DD214, the child’s birth certificate, and medical records showing the child has spinal bifida.  Do not be discouraged by someone from the VA who tells you not to apply. INSIST on submitting a claim in WRITING! The sooner you apply, the sooner the monthly compensation and health care cost reimbursement can begin.

As with any VA claim, it is best to get representation from a qualified veterans service officer, either through a veterans organization or a state or county veterans agency. As with all things, take part in this process; and ask questions if you don’t understand. Make copies of EVERYTHING you mail/submit/whatever for your file and protection. Also, make a journal of your actions and responsive to and from the VA.

Resources for Homeless Veterans

2900 Veterans’ Way
Viera, FL 32940
Phone: (321) 637-3788 X2639

National Coalition for Homeless Veterans
(800) VET-HELP (800-838-4357) Website:

Brevard Continuum of Care Coalition 

(321) 633-2076 Website:

National Coalition for the Homeless
(202) 462-4822 Website:

National Alliance to End Homelessness
(202) 638-1526 Website:

National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty
(202) 638-2535 Website:

Health Care for the Homeless/U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
(888) 275-4772 Website:

HUDVET — Veteran Resource Center/U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Emergency Food and Shelter Program/Federal Emergency Management Agency
(800) 621-3362 Website:

Department of Veterans Affairs
(800) 827-1000 Website:

 Employment Protection for Reservists, National Guard and Veterans

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) of 1994 provides employment/reemployment protection for Reservists, National Guard Members, as well as some recently separated veterans returning to their previous civilian jobs.  The USERRA Law includes the following benefits:
National Guard and Reserve members are entitled to a leave of absence from their civilian private and public sector employers for the period necessary to perform military service, whether that service is voluntary or involuntary.  They are not required to use their earned personal vacation during the period of service;
Employees are entitled to restoration in employment following military service, with seniority, status, and rate of pay as if continuously employed;
Persons are not to be discriminated against in hiring, retention in employment, promotions, or other benefits of employment because of past or present military affiliation or obligations, or because of an intent to join the military, whether it be Active, Reserve or National Guard; and
Non-career active duty military members are entitled to reemployment rights with their previous civilian employers.

Additional and specific USERRA information can be retrieved by contacting the U.S. Dept. of Labor, Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS) at (850) 245-7199 in Tallahassee, (727) 608-2495 in St. Petersburg, (813) 375-3999 in Tampa, (904) 798-0060, ext. 2191 in Jacksonville, and (954) 677-5818 in Ft. Lauderdale.  VETS are tasked with the enforcement of USERRA.  Information on USERRA is also available via the following VETS website:


Brevard County Veteran’s Services

The Brevard County Veterans Services Team is nationally accredited as veteran claims representatives by the VA, American Legion, Florida Department of Veteran Affairs, Disabled American Veterans and Veterans of Foreign Wars.

The team provides direct assistance to all of Brevard’s veterans and families to assure they receive the full benefits earned by the veteran’s military service. The team further helps eligible surviving family members receive the all benefits they are entitled to.

The team completes and submits claims for VA and State veterans benefits to include helping the veteran/family member assure that the claim contains all required supporting evidence. This assistance maximizes the veteran/family members’ opportunity for approval of the claim.

Veteran Services Team Manager
2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
Bldg B, Suite 102
Viera, Florida 32940
Phone: (321) 633-2012 SUNCOM: 322-1706
Fax: (321) 637-5432

Veteran Services Counselor II
Brevard County Housing and Human Services
2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
Bldg B, Suite 102
Viera, Florida 32940
Phone: (321) 633-2012 SUNCOM: 322-1706
Fax: (321) 637-5432

Assistant County Service Officer
2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
Bldg B, Suite 102
Viera, Florida 32940
Phone: (321) 633-2012 SUNCOM: 322-1706
Fax: (321) 637-5432